Airedale Swing Dance Community:
Important update 13/03/2020 - Due to the current COVID 19 outbreak & the physical contact involved in dancing our regular classes at Airedale Swing Dance Community are suspended until further notice, hopefully we will be able to resume in the not too distant future, your understanding at this difficult for all involved with ASDC & the wider Swing Dance community is appreciated, watch this space for further updates
Find Airedale Swing Dance Community on Facebook
Find Airedale Swing Dance Community on Twitter
Our Code of Conduct and how to contact us, if you require support. Airedale Swing Dance Community have chosen to adopt the Safety in Swing Dance Code of Conduct
STEPS Code – Safety, Trust, Engagement, Prevention, Support
(Safety in Swing Dance and the ‘STEPS’ code take strides to be there for anyone in need!)
We believe that the Lindy Hop world is already welcoming, supportive (and awesome!) and that instances of inappropriate behaviour are rare. Our Code of Conduct is designed to acknowledge that we all have a responsibility to build safety into events, and to contribute to the well being of the whole community. We love to dance, and we want you to love it too.
Guidelines for Being Good People
The following good people guidelines apply to EVERYONE attending a STEPS Code event, including members of staff, volunteers and visiting teachers:
1. We will be NICE to everyone and treat all people with respect. We will not harass anyone. We will not discriminate according to sex, gender expression or sexual orientation, nor race, religion, or nationality. We will treat everyone equally, regardless of age, ability, physical appearance, lifestyle, dance experience or dance role.
2. We will be INCLUSIVE and invite others to dance, and we will be gracious if turned down. We may say no without giving a reason, but we will be polite when doing so and if we promise to dance later on, we will honour that promise.
3. We will be RESPONSIBLE for our own physical safety and that of others nearby. We will practice safe floor-craft and say sorry if we accidentally bump another person. We will not offer unsolicited advice or instruction, nor perform aerials on the social floor. If we consume alcohol we will do so responsibly, and if we are drunk enough to pose a risk to ourselves or others, we will leave the dance floor and retire to the bar.
4. We will take CARE of our own personal hygiene, and bring towels, spare clothing and extra deodorant if necessary. We will be considerate when choosing our clothing, footwear, and accessories and not we will not wear anything that is potentially hazardous to ourselves or to others.
5. We will be RESPECTFUL and acknowledge that the personal boundaries of others may not be the same as our own. We will be mindful of the appropriateness of language that some may find offensive. We will not touch anyone without consent and we will apologise immediately if we unintentionally touch a person’s private areas.
6. We UNDERSTAND that following the above guidelines ensures a better experience for everyone and that participating in any kind of verbal, physical or sexual abuse will have consequences. This may include, but is not limited to, being asked to leave without refund and exclusion from future events.
7. We, the organisers, PROMISE to treat any reports made, from dancers in our home scenes or elsewhere, with sensitivity and to keep all details as confidential as is possible (however, in the event of a police investigation, all information will become disclosable).
*We encourage anyone who has experienced or witnessed intimidating or inappropriate behaviour to tell an organiser.
At Airedale Swing Dance Community your suggested points of contact are:
If you prefer to talk in person, or would prefer to speak to another member of the community, you are welcome to do so at any event throughout the year.
If you’d rather speak to someone outside of our immediate group, all of the people listed here are ready to listen.
Safety People are available for discussion and reassurance, not just formal reports – please do tell us about your concerns, even small ones – we’re here for you!
Safety in Swing Dance organisers and teachers will happily provide support to anyone experiencing problematic behaviours in the Swing dance scene, not just our own dancers and students, see the entire Safety in Swing Dance website for more details. https://safetyinswingdance.com/ STEPS Code
This policy applies to all Airedale Swing Dance Community (ASDC) members/participants of our regular classes & other events.
ASDC need to collect and use certain types of information about the Individuals registering for our events.
This personal information must be collected and dealt with appropriately whether it is collected on paper, stored in a computer database, or recorded on other material and there are safeguards to ensure this under the General Data Protection Regulation 2018.
The purpose of this policy is to make you aware about how we collect, use and share the information we collect from you.
We use your information in accordance with all applicable laws concerning the protection of personal information. This policy explains:
a) What information we may collect about you
b) How we may use that information
c) Information about how we keep your personal information secure, how we maintain it for you and your rights to be able to access it.
If you have any queries about this policy, please contact Mark Lunn: firstname.lastname@example.org
Information Collection: ASDC will only take personal information for the purpose of registering you for an event. We are committed to protecting your personal information and being transparent about what information we hold about you.
We collect various types of information and in a number of ways: Information you give us When you register on our website or attend one of our events, we will securely store personal information you give us such as your name, email address, postal address and telephone number. This will only be done when necessary and we will make sure that only relevant information is collected.
Sensitive Personal Data: Data Protection law recognises that certain categories of personal information are more sensitive such as health information. We only collect this type of information when there is a clear reason for doing so, such as informing us of a condition that you think we should be aware of.
Sharing the data you give us: ASDC will not share data with other agencies.
Your rights to your personal information: You have a right to request a copy of the personal information that we hold about you and to have any inaccuracies in the data corrected. Please use the contact details included in this policy if you would like to exercise this right.